My first try at creative moon photography; one type of photo I've yet to master!

There's this thing I tried early April, 2019. And the subject was the moon, but it wasn't supposed to be a regular moon photo, it was supposed to be a very long exposure, to show the moon's movement in a single image for approximately an hour and 30 minutes. The most interesting results should come about during skies that are partly cloudy, because the clouds can also add movement. The reason I tried it this exact date, which was I think was the 9th or 10th of April, is because the Moon happened to be in a waning crescent phase. And after taking about 100 or so photos, each about five seconds long, I noticed that the moon's brightness was just right, but that's because the final image was a composite of multiple slower exposures. I still want to be able to catch this same result in a single exposure. I did some experimenting today, when the Moon was unfortunately pretty boring due to slightly overcast sky, and I found that it's extremely challenging to get the perfect exposure; having to combine the exact recipe made up of correct aperture, ISO (light sensitivity) and shutter speed is essential. After some trial and error, I decided that, surprisingly to many, I might need an ND filter, one that's decently dark if the moon's not a waning crescent. And that's why I had a difficult time today; the moon was about 1/3rds of the way full. A waning crescent is the time when a very long exposure should also show magnificent star trails; despite getting a gross underexposure, the stars turned out surprisingly bright, mostly because of the extremely wide aperture of my lens. The result was almost magical, as during the course of the exposures, the moon hid between various different clouds, but it's still far from perfect; editing or enhancement using levels as well as brightness and contrast to the photo was not much successful, but actually the main problem, as can be seen, is that the clouds moved a little too quickly and there were apparently still gaps in between taking each photo, so despite the moon and stars looking pretty good, the clouds aren't part of a single flow. Example is here:
As can be seen from the photo, I was late and the moon upon taking the first photo of the sequence was relatively close to the horizon. It was an interesting photo to try and capture. As can clearly be seen, the exact moon phase during the time provided just the exact amount of light to illuminate the sky, without washing out the stars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please make these horrible dreams stop!

My future vision of this week...