Could GoPro (theoretically) be a professional system for macro photography?

People have been trying macro, especially macro with a magnification over 1:1 reproduction ratio, using various camera systems over time; whether it be cell phones, or Full Frame cameras (and probably larger formats as well, just not to my knowledge). Let’s talk about an alternative idea for getting those extremely small details in focus. So recently, I’ve been quite interested in what’s known as Back Bone: a company that can modify your existing gopro, in a way as to allow you to mount various lenses onto it. The Gopro has it’s drawbacks, the main one probably being that the sensor is small compared to SLR cameras; and the dynamic range is rather poor. However, I still think that the Gopro could theoretically make a compelling choice for macro photography. I have also thought about how well it would suite astrophotography, but despite the fact that there are some pretty fast lenses on the market, the small sensor “counterbalances” that fact; in other words, the small sensor is what makes the benefit of a fast lens not so much a benefit as it could be were a large sensor used. However, the reason that I think Gopro could rival SLRs if it were modified to have an ILC (Interchangeable lens system), at least for macro photography, is that it’s got a touchscreen LCD, it’s small, and probably the biggest benefit, is that it can currently do sixty frames per second using 4k quality (four times higher resolution than HD); the video quality... it’s like what you get on an SLR (Despite poor low light performance, it’s still 4k/60p). So, despite having a small sensor, the GoPro can capture lots of detail, at least in video mode. Sure, in photo mode it can “only” do about twelve megapixels...however, there are “hacks”, or techniques, as to essentially allow your images to stand out as much as they could with any camera, albeit it would mainly have to be still life photography. I think that the GoPro, combined with just a microscope eyepiece, could produce very impressive videos and photos, and I essentially can’t wait until I get to try this exact idea. Let’s see...on my Sony RX100 II, a 10x eyepiece covers only about one half of the frame, while the rest is vignetting; but that’s when the lens is set to it’s widest angle, 28mm. A Gopro has a much smaller sensor, about 1/2.3”. However, to know exactly how the eyepiece would project light onto a GoPro’s sensor, I can only guess about...I wonder if the same can be done with a webcam, (which I doubt can achieve the same quality of photos/videos as a GoPro) though the sensors on those things are probably even smaller, and you don’t have the intuitive function of a touchscreen. Stay tuned for any photos of my setup once I get working on it some time in the future...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My future vision of this week...